Monday, December 17, 2007

Positive Reinforcement

I'm a big fan of the PS2 games Katamari Damacy and I [heart] Katamari. It occurs to me, particularly in the sequel, the game is filled with characters egging you on and challenging you to do well. Other games, such the Pokemon RPG games, also have lot of characters that reinforce the notion that what you're doing is worthwhile. I think more games, particularly American games, could stand to have a bit more of that. When I'm spending hours at a time collecting arbitrarily large quantities of gems, or sparkles, or whatever, the more NPCs that come over and tell me how great I am for doing all this work, the better.

-Adam!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Which of course is why you love Bella Sera - lots of positive reinforcement! But then I love that about it too. :)

I'm currently playing two games only (other than an RPG that I'm running) and they are Perfect World (for free) and Lord of the Rings Online (which I'm a founder of and paid a one time fee for so I don't have to subscribe). Perfect World in particular does a lot of positive reinforcement.

"You got the items for the blacksmith skill more quickly -English is NOT their first language - than any other. Elder was right about you! You will be great blacksmith." And you're always a great warrior too! (Even if they do insist on calling my female a man. :)